Pages

Saturday 18 April 2015

Mala Mala what??!!

Let's go back to diving. 

Taking up diving as a hobby has brought me to a few beautiful and amazing places, that I never would've gone if I did not start diving. 

And best of all, these places are all extremely accessible via the AirAsia network from Kuala Lumpur. Thankfully, as a staff, we enjoy super affordable travel options and adds to my overall diving experiences. 

Last month (March 2015), I visited an island called Malapascua. 

"Mala mala what?!" 

Yes, this is the 'Mala Mala what?' island. A not so perfect panoramic photo as we approached Malapascua *teehee*
That's the question I get every single time I mention about this place to about 95% of the people I talk to before and after I visited this amazing island. 

So, I decided that I need to talk about this place, because: 
a) it is a BEAUTIFUL place 
b) it is not a remote place (meaning it's not that difficult to get there)
c) it deserves so much more attention than what it gets right now 
d) and do I have to say again how beautiful that place is 

Firstly, I know it sounds like a remote place that you'd have to travel across the oceans to access. But NO, Malapascua is in the Philippines. Cebu, to be exact. 

So how do you get there? 
  • Take a direct flight from Kuala Lumpur - Cebu (4hr flight) via AirAsia (the only airline that has this direct route. Other airlines, you'd have to transit via Manila)
  • Then, a 3-hour comfortable drive / ride down south to Maya Wharf. (I say comfortable because the roads are properly paved, and no need to go through terrains, etc - very smooth ride) 
  • And lastly, just take another 30-min boat ride, and you are on Malapascua! 
These were my dive buddies during the trip :D Shot was taken on Kalangaman Island (more info on that in a bit)
Okay, so fine, beautiful clear blue waters, white sandy beaches, you can find that anywhere (I can hear you saying it already)... so what's so special? 

WEATHER
It is hot, but not humid. You can stroll along the beach, chill in a hammock, sit at the dive shop and enjoy the WiFi and do some work, have a drink by the beach and whatever else you want to do - all without breaking a sweat, because the humidity is quite low. *argh, wish I was back there right now* 

WIFI 
Every hotel, restaurant, dive shop provides FREE WIFI! So, no need to worry about not being connected to the world. Furthermore, the mobile data coverage is very strong with full bar 3G as well. So, for someone like me, who has to be connected at all times due to the nature of my job - this is definitely a major plus point! 

FOOD
I never really knew how to appreciate Filipino cuisine, but being in Malapascua changed my mind. The locals there can cook up a storm. No matter whether you order local Filipino food, or Western food - it all tastes pretty OK. 

How about Halal Food? 
Let's just say if you love seafood, it would not be a problem. But otherwise, those who need Halal food will need to bring along some Mamee Chef cups / eat bread / go on a vege diet for a few days? 

PEOPLE 
Whether you are talking to the people who run the dive shops, the staff who keep the hotels running, or people who serve you at the restaurants - friendly / hospitable doesn't even begin to describe them. Enough said :) 

DIVING 
Of course, how can I miss out details about diving in Malapascua?! 

Thresher Sharks 

Yes, Malapascua is probably one of the very few places on earth where you can see Thresher Sharks up close. The dive site for this is called 'Monad Shoal' and it is actually a cleaning station where the Thresher Sharks come up from the depths to get their skin cleaned by cleaner fishes! 

It was such an amazing feeling to see them. No regrets whatsoever waking up at 3.30AM every morning to catch these amazing creatures. (Sunrise is about 4.30AM - 5.00AM and that is the best time to try and see them). 

Kalangaman Island! 
Yes, no filter!! This is what the beach looks like on Kalangaman Island! Shot on my iPhone 5s
You take a boat out for the whole day (like 7am - 3pm) to this island, and enjoy a barbecue lunch on the island as well. We did 2 dives around the island - but you'd probably enjoy it more if you are more into macro stuff, and have amazing cameras to capture the macrolife. 

Although I am not really a macro kinda person, I didn't mind at all just diving around and enjoying some of the best surface intervals I've ever experienced on Kalangaman Island itself :) 

Few other things, that absolutely made me fall in love with Malapascua: 

Sunset Dives & Mandarin Fish
You can opt to do a sunset dive, and watch Mandarin Fish mate! Unfortunately, I didn't bring down my camera during the sunset dive, and the ones who did have not shared photos with me, or did not manage to get proper photos. But is it worth it? YES! 

The sunset dive continues on to become a night dive, and you can see seahorses, crabs, and errmmm.... each other? I was pretty freaked out coz I am afraid of the dark but I still had an amazing sunset dive experience thanks to awesome buddies & of course, an awesome dive guide. There were 4 of us to a guide. 

Gato Island 
This island is about 45min boat ride away, but you definitely do not need to think, to even consider going to this place. Dive operators will impose a surcharge to bring you there - but you can't say you've been diving in Malapascua without dropping by Gato Island. 

Why? 
Because - this!! 
[Photo credit: Wan Arif] There are only a few dive sites on Gato Island, and this is a must-do. First, you go into a mini cave, and then you descend about 5-6m, and then you go through a short 30m tunnel (it's kinda wide, so no need to feel claustrophobic) and at the end of the tunnel.... you seee..... 
[Photo credit: Wan Arif] .....THIS!!! Happy reef sharks greet you at the end of the tunnel :D Hehehe.... 
Hammerhead Sharks 
We were told up to 15 hammerheads were spotted few days before, and we tried our luck at Kimud Shoal to try and find the hammerheads. There was one who made a cameo appearance, but I didn't manage to spot it even though the guide tried to lead us towards it. Most of everyone didn't spot it either.

Wow, this has been quite a long post, and honestly, there are so many things I have to say about this place. I hope I'd be able to go back again next year, since it's so easily accessible. 

So now you don't have to go 'Mala mala what?!?!' the next time I force my diving stories on you :) 

Hope this post will help others appreciate Malapascua, as much as I did :) 

A view like this doesn't leave your memory. Till the next visit, Malapascua. I miss you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! :)